Lutheran Social Services of the Virgin Islands (LSSVI) is looking for the best and brightest that our Territory and the world around us has to offer. We are seeking candidates with a passion for service and the skills necessary to help us fulfill our mission. If you are interested in applying for a position with LSSVI, please send a detailed resume and completed application to:
|Director of Human Resources
516B Hospital Street
Frederiksted, St. Croix 00840-3824
Fax: (340) 772-0589
|Download Application Form|
|Only suitable applicants will be acknowledged and/or invited to interview. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
Looking for openings to become an AmeriCorps members? Visit the AmeriCorps page for service opportunities.
Life Skills Assistant – Yellow Cedar Residence, St. Thomas
The Life Skills Assistant (LSA) will provide direct care and support to adult residents with developmental, cognitive, and physical disabilities to improve their level of independence in the areas indicated by their individual care plans. These include general life, community, and vocational skills. LSA will act as a coach to the residents in the areas of socialization and behaviors..
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent and two years’ experience in residential care or related field
- Valid VI Driver’s License
- CPR/First Aid Certification
- Certified Nurse Assistant Certification (Preferred).
- Ability to lift physically disabled residents (minimum of 50 pounds)
Maintenance Worker – All Sites, St. Croix
The maintenance worker will be responsible for completing assigned tasks related to the maintenance of the building and related equipment. Tasks to include but not limited to mowing, weeding, watering, trimming, trash pick-up, planting, and maintenance of related equipment. The maintenance worker will assist with preventative and routine maintenance as assigned.
- Minimum high school diploma or GED. Vocational training or certification preferred.
- Minimum one year experience or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
- A valid USVI driver’s license.
- Pass LSSVI literacy, numerical and job skills test.
Replacement Worker – Queen Louise Home for Children/Sister Emma Cottage, Ginger Thomas Residence, St. Croix
Replacement Workers provide direct care to residents with disabilities at Sister Emma Cottage and Ginger Thomas Residence. Replacement Workers are responsible for maintaining a safe, supportive, and therapeutic environment which fosters growth and rehabilitation among the residents.
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. Certificate.
- Minimum of two years’ experience in residential care or related field.
- Certified Nurse Assistant Certification (Preferred)
- Ability to lift physically disabled residents (minimum of 50 pounds).
Cottage Parent/Assistant Shift Coordinator – Queen Louise Home for Children, St. Croix
The Assistant Shift Coordinator will be responsible for supporting the Shift Coordinator and the overall operation of the shift in ensuring supervision, maintaining a safe environment to which children can identify, and ensuring compliance of all agency and USVI Department of Health policies and regulations associated with childcare.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent and two years’ experience in residential care or related field.
- Valid VI Driver’s License.
- Must have knowledge and experience in working with children in a Residential Care setting.
- Remains alert to problems, needs or emergencies that might arise on any shift, maintaining a safe environment.
Home Care Assistant– Queen Louise Home for Children, St. Croix
The Home Care Assistant is responsible for maintaining the development of positive childcare practices and aiding in the supervision of the children in the cottages while ensuring all communal areas of the cottages are clean and tidy. The Home Care Assistant is responsible for performing housekeeping duties such as laundry, cleaning, dishwashing, sanitizing, changing of linens, and adhering to the cleaning schedule.
- Minimum High School Diploma.
- Demonstrated experience in being able to manage home duties associated with residential facilities, i.e. home management, cleaning, cooking, hygiene, etc.
- General understanding of the USVI Department of Human Services regulations and standards.
- Experience caring for children.
Director – Queen Louise Home for Children, St. Croix
The Director is responsible for creating an atmosphere that provides for continuity of quality care and quality of life for all children residing in the 24 hour living facilities of Queen Louise Home for Children including Sister Emma Cottage.
- BA or Masters Degree in Sociology, Social Work or Psychology.
- Minimum of five (5) years experience working in a residential or related facility.
- Minimum of three (3) years managerial experience.
- Must be able to cope with mental and emotional stress related to working with clients who are ill, disabled and/or emotionally upset.
- Must have excellent communication and management skills.
Cook – Ginger Thomas Residence, St. Croix
The Cook is responsible for practicing safe food handling techniques while preparing nutritious meals and snacks for the residents. The cook will be responsible for planning and purchasing all food and necessary supplies and maintaining inventory and appropriate menu records.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent and a minimum of five years experience cooking in residential settings or related fields.
- Valid VI Driver’s License.
- Maintain compliance with valid CPR/First Aid certification and Food Handler’s Card.
Floater/Teacher Assistant – Early Head Start, St. Croix
Assume all the responsibilities of the Early Head Start Teacher, Bus Monitor, Custodian, Office Assistant and/or Cook as needed. Responsible for maintaining a safe, healthy, developmentally appropriate environment for infants and toddlers enrolled in the Early Head Start program.
- CDA (Infant/Toddler Credential OR AA in Early Childhood Development or Education required.
- Valid Virgin Islands Driver’s License.
Health Services Coordinator – Early Head Start, St. Croix
Under the direction of the Early Head Start Director, the Health Services Coordinator is responsible for planning, implementing, coordinating, monitoring and managing health services activities for children and their families enrolled in the Early Head Start program pursuant to the Head Start Performance Standards.
- BA/BS Degree in nursing, public health, health administration, health education or other closely related health field preferred.
- Minimum Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) Certification
- Valid VI Driver’s License
Bus Driver/Assistant Cook – Early Head Start, St. Croix
Responsible for providing transportation to and from Early Head Start centers for children and parents and maintaining the safety of the vehicle and all children on the bus during the bus route. Also assists the Cook with food preparation, service, and clean up.
- Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) is preferred; or willingness to obtain CDL within one year of hire and maintain it as current.
- Three (3) years’ experience driving in the VI.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Physical ability to remain on feet for extended periods of time throughout the work week
- Physical agility to bend, stoop, walk, reach overhead, push/pull, squat, twist, and turn.
Nurse – Early Head Start, St. Croix
The Nurse provides Health Services to children and families and assists in the identification, coordination, completion of service, and evaluation of health or family problems of enrolled children. The Nurse maintains awareness of current health services available in the community and works with physicians and other local health care providers to meet the needs of enrolled children. The Nurse is responsible for the coordination of health follow-up services to identified children and must document all health/family services that have been provided. In conjunction with the Health Service Coordinator, the nurse will monitor health records at Early Head Start center sites.
- Registered Nurse. BSN or higher or related degree preferred.
- Two years of experience in community health, pediatrics or school nursing. Bilingual preferred: English/Spanish or English and other languages present in the local area.
- 1 – 3 years supervisory experience
Project Manager – Early Head Start, St. Croix
The Project Manager/Grant Writer will provide coordinated services consistent with all applicable federal, state, and USVI Department of Building, Fire Department, Environmental Protection Agency laws, regulations, requirements, and codes including 45CFR, Part 1309 and Department of Health regulations. The Project Manager/Grant Writer will also be responsible for enforcement of the Davis Bacon Act and review of all U.S. Department of Labor payroll forms, job classifications, and wage rates. This position will further be responsible for writing the necessary grants needed to request funding for the projects relative to the recovery or rebuilding of the Early Head Start facilities.
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree in management, business or related field
- 5 years’ experience in Project Management or related field
- 2 years’ experience in grant writing
“NO PERSONS SHALL BE DISCRIMINATED AGAINST FOR EMPLOYMENT OFFERED BY LUTHERAN SOCIAL SERVICES OF THE VIRGIN ISLANDS ON ACCOUNT OF RACE, COLOR, CREED, NATIONAL ORIGIN, SEX, DISABILITY OR AGE.”