Lutheran Social Services of the Virgin Islands (LSSVI) is looking for the best and brightest that our Territory and the world around us has to offer. We are seeking candidates with a passion for service and the skills necessary to help us fulfill our mission. If you are interested in applying for a position with LSSVI, please send a detailed resume and completed application to:
|Director of Human Resources
516B Hospital Street
Frederiksted, St. Croix 00840-3824
Fax: (340) 772-0589
|Download Application Form|
|Only suitable applicants will be acknowledged and/or invited to interview. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
Looking for openings to become an AmeriCorps members? Visit the AmeriCorps page for service opportunities.
Life Skills Assistant – Yellow Cedar Residence, St. Thomas
The Life Skills Assistant (LSA) will provide direct care and support to adult residents with developmental, cognitive, and physical disabilities to improve their level of independence in the areas indicated by their individual care plans. These include general life, community, and vocational skills. LSA will act as a coach to the residents in the areas of socialization and behaviors..
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent and two years’ experience in residential care or related field
- Valid VI Driver’s License
- CPR/First Aid Certification
- Certified Nurse Assistant Certification (Preferred).
- Ability to lift physically disabled residents (minimum of 50 pounds)
Maintenance Worker – All Sites, St. Croix
The maintenance worker will be responsible for completing assigned tasks related to the maintenance of the building and related equipment. Tasks to include but not limited to mowing, weeding, watering, trimming, trash pick-up, planting, and maintenance of related equipment. The maintenance worker will assist with preventative and routine maintenance as assigned.
- Minimum high school diploma or GED. Vocational training or certification preferred.
- Minimum one year experience or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
- A valid USVI driver’s license.
- Pass LSSVI literacy, numerical and job skills test.
Replacement Worker – Queen Louise Home for Children/Sister Emma Cottage, Ginger Thomas Residence, St. Croix
Replacement Workers provide direct care to residents with disabilities at Sister Emma Cottage and Ginger Thomas Residence. Replacement Workers are responsible for maintaining a safe, supportive, and therapeutic environment which fosters growth and rehabilitation among the residents.
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. Certificate.
- Minimum of two years’ experience in residential care or related field.
- Certified Nurse Assistant Certification (Preferred)
- Ability to lift physically disabled residents (minimum of 50 pounds).
Home Care Assistant– Queen Louise Home for Children, St. Croix
The Home Care Assistant is responsible for maintaining the development of positive childcare practices and aiding in the supervision of the children in the cottages while ensuring all communal areas of the cottages are clean and tidy. The Home Care Assistant is responsible for performing housekeeping duties such as laundry, cleaning, dishwashing, sanitizing, changing of linens, and adhering to the cleaning schedule.
- Minimum High School Diploma.
- Demonstrated experience in being able to manage home duties associated with residential facilities, i.e. home management, cleaning, cooking, hygiene, etc.
- General understanding of the USVI Department of Human Services regulations and standards.
- Experience caring for children.
Director – Queen Louise Home for Children, St. Croix
The Director is responsible for creating an atmosphere that provides for continuity of quality care and quality of life for all children residing in the 24 hour living facilities of Queen Louise Home for Children including Sister Emma Cottage.
- BA or Masters Degree in Sociology, Social Work or Psychology.
- Minimum of five (5) years experience working in a residential or related facility.
- Minimum of three (3) years managerial experience.
- Must be able to cope with mental and emotional stress related to working with clients who are ill, disabled and/or emotionally upset.
- Must have excellent communication and management skills.
Cook – Ginger Thomas Residence, St. Croix
The Cook is responsible for practicing safe food handling techniques while preparing nutritious meals and snacks for the residents. The cook will be responsible for planning and purchasing all food and necessary supplies and maintaining inventory and appropriate menu records.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent and a minimum of five years experience cooking in residential settings or related fields.
- Valid VI Driver’s License.
- Maintain compliance with valid CPR/First Aid certification and Food Handler’s Card.
Director – Early Head Start, St. Croix
Responsible for the administration of the Early Head Start Program, including program design and management, oversight of record-keeping and monitoring systems, and development of community partnerships. This individual is directly responsible for supervision and implementation of the policies and procedures of the education, parent involvement, nutrition, health, transportation and program governance components as specified in the Federal Performance Standards and any local or other required policies and procedures.
- Master’s degree preferred, Bachelor’s degree required in Early Childhood Education, Child Development, or related field with sufficient credits in education or child development.
- Five year post bachelor’s degree experience in a related field with three years of management or supervisory experience.
- Experience working with infants and toddlers required.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills, including internet and e-mail.
Floater/Teacher Assistant – Early Head Start, St. Croix
Assume all the responsibilities of the Early Head Start Teacher, Bus Monitor, Custodian, Office Assistant and/or Cook as needed. Responsible for maintaining a safe, healthy, developmentally appropriate environment for infants and toddlers enrolled in the Early Head Start program.
- CDA (Infant/Toddler Credential OR AA in Early Childhood Development or Education required.
- Valid Virgin Islands Driver’s License.
Health Services Coordinator – Early Head Start, St. Croix
Under the direction of the Early Head Start Director, the Health Services Coordinator is responsible for planning, implementing, coordinating, monitoring and managing health services activities for children and their families enrolled in the Early Head Start program pursuant to the Head Start Performance Standards.
- BA/BS Degree in nursing, public health, health administration, health education or other closely related health field preferred.
- Minimum Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) Certification
- Valid VI Driver’s License
Bus Driver/Assistant Cook – Early Head Start, St. Croix
Responsible for providing transportation to and from Early Head Start centers for children and parents and maintaining the safety of the vehicle and all children on the bus during the bus route. Also assists the Cook with food preparation, service, and clean up.
- Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) is preferred; or willingness to obtain CDL within one year of hire and maintain it as current.
- Three (3) years’ experience driving in the VI.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Physical ability to remain on feet for extended periods of time throughout the work week
- Physical agility to bend, stoop, walk, reach overhead, push/pull, squat, twist, and turn.
“NO PERSONS SHALL BE DISCRIMINATED AGAINST FOR EMPLOYMENT OFFERED BY LUTHERAN SOCIAL SERVICES OF THE VIRGIN ISLANDS ON ACCOUNT OF RACE, COLOR, CREED, NATIONAL ORIGIN, SEX, DISABILITY OR AGE.”